Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Russian Bathhouse 



A friend of mine recommended Archimedes Banya to me a couple of years ago.   Archimedes is a Russian Banya (bathhouse) located in San Franisco.    The idea of going to a bathhouse was not something on my list of things to do in life and when I read that Archimedes was clothing optional it sealed the deal.   Its not for me.


Last Thursday night I was in the bay area and I was unbelievable stressed out and my friend suggested that we go to Archimes.   She said I would feel like a million bucks and sleep like a baby that night.   I took a quick look at their website and saw picture of naked girl in a hot tub holding a fish and a guy drinking a beer.   I figured maybe I should give this a try/




Well, we show up about seven and sign in.  The receptionists hands us a couple of robes and a blue electronic key for the locker.    My friend and I separate as she goes in the women's locker room and I in the men's.    I open my assigned locker and there are some flip flops and a couple of towels.   There is a door that says clothing optional beyond this point.   I strip down anxiously and put my robe on.   I go past the door a bit nervous and look around.  

I have to admit, it took me a couple of minutes to get used to the clothing optional part.   I am not used to seeing men and women naked together.   But the atmosphere was very comfortable.   About half the people were wearing bathing suits and half were nude.    My friend came out in her robe and suggested we try the sauna first.

Wow, it was the hottest sauna I had been in.   She went to the top of the sauna and I followed her and boy was it was hot.   After probably 15 minutes we went and jumped in a cold plunge.   The intense heat followed by the frigid cold: my heart was pumping like I just ran a marathon.     We went into a warm pool with five other people.    There were three girls and two guys.  One of the girls wore a bikini bottom but everyone else was naked from head to toe.   Its hard to explain but it felt really natural and everyone was comfortable.  We chit chatted with the others for a half hour or so.    The vibe was excellent.

After the tub we went up to the restaurant.    It was nice just slipping on a robe and taking a quick elevator ride.   An ice cold beer was just what I needed.     I ordered a beer and then thought - Oh no I have to get my wallet but the bartender politely explained no problem I just need your locker number.  

After the beer we went back downstairs.   The clothing required area was now a clothing optional area.   We tried a eucalyptus steam bath and the hot tub.   It was great.

By ten O'clock I was completely stress free and had a new lease on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment